24 Nov Michigan CPL Class Requirements
What are the requirements for Michigan CPL course?
“The program must be certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization.”
Originally, only the NRA was considered a “National training organization.” When the law was drafted in 2001, the only class that existed that dealt with use of deadly force was the NRA’s Personal Protection in the Home course. This was adopted as the Michigan CPL training course.
Law enforcement training facilities (police departments, police academies) were also eligible to create their own courses. They would send in the materials to MCOLES and MCOLES would approve material to be accepted as the training requirement for concealed pistol license applicants.
As of 2014, both the US Concealed Carry Association and the NRA are considered “National Training Organizations” in Michigan so students can take either the older NRA Personal Protection in the Home course or the US Concealed Carry Association’s “Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals” course to satisfy the training requirement for getting a Michigan Concealed Pistol License.
Who can teach these classes?
The instructor of the course must be certified by this state (MCOLES) or national organization (USCCA or the NRA) to teach the pistol safety training course as described on this page.
Michigan-Approved CPL Classes
Jun 201806/23/2018 – Hamilton, Michigan – CPL CCW Class $95
06/24/2018 – Fennville, Michigan – CPL CCW Class $95
06/30/2018 – Livonia, Michigan – Michigan CPL Class w/ Rick Ector
Jul 201807/14/2018 – Hastings, Michigan – CPL CCW Class $95
07/14/2018 – Jackson, Michigan – Michigan CPL Class $100
07/21/2018 – Hamilton, Michigan – CPL CCW Class $95
07/21/2018 – Clare, Michigan – Michigan CPL Class $130
07/21/2018 – Jackson, Michigan – Michigan CPL Class $100
07/21/2018 – Livonia, Michigan – Livonia CPL CCW Class
07/22/2018 – Fennville, Michigan – CPL CCW Class $95
What topics must be covered in the class?
The class shall be at least 8 hours, including 5 hours of classroom instruction and 3 hours of instruction at a firing range.
The class must cover all the following:
- Ammunition knowledge
- Fundamentals of pistol shooting
- Pistol shooting positions
- Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force
- * This section shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force *
- Avoiding criminal attack
- Controlling a violent confrontation
- All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in Michigan
- At least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range
- Shooting at least 30 rounds of ammo
What does Michigan require to appear on the CPL training certificate?
Per MCL 28.425j ammended, the training certificate is good for 5 years from date of issue
- Students name
- Instructor signature
- “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372” must appear on the certificate
- Instructors name
- Instructor’s telephone number
- Name of the state or national training organization that certified the instructor
- Phone number of the state or national training organization that certified the instructor
- Instructor’s certification number
- Instructor certification expiration date