Applicants for an Kentucky CCW must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States or an immigrant alien lawfully admitted into the United States
- Complete an application form at the sheriff’s office in your county of residence. But before you complete your application, you must complete the required training class (6-8 hour class approved by the Kentucky State Police). Your local Sheriff’s Office will have a listing of all instructors in your area. Once you have completed your training class, and you have determined that you have met the eligibility requirements, you can begin your application.
- There is a $60 application fee that must be paid at the time you complete your application* Active and retired peace officers are generally exempt from paying the application fee or renewal fee.
Of the $60 application fee, you must pay $20 to the sheriff at your country of residence and you must pay $40 with a check or money order payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer.
- The application form, which must be completed under oath, must include the following:
o Name, Address, DOB, Gender, and SSN
o An original color photograph developed from the negative of the original that does not exceed 4” by 6” and is no smaller than 3.5” by 4” It’s best to use an original color passport style photo that is 2” by 2”.
o A photocopy of a certificate or an affidavit or document certifying that you have completed the firearms training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training.
o If you are not a US citizen, you have to fill out additional paperwork for your application. You can download an Application here (for non-US citizens): http://kentuckystatepolice.org/ccdw/application_process.html – You can fill out Questions 1-13 of the Application at home, but the rest of the application must be completed at the Sheriff’s office.
• Once you submit your money order and check to the Sheriff’s office, your application is usually processed within 5 business days, then the Kentucky State Police processes your application.